Here we are with the second instalment of our DOWNTIME series. Since the last, we've been cooking up oodles of noodles and filling our bodies with some much-needed nutrients.
This week we're turning the spotlight inward to bring you a simple weekday recipe and entertainment recommendations from one of our very own, Meghan.
After all, we're just like you; we're also trying to navigate these unchartered waters and keep ourselves soldiering on. We would love to hear your thoughts on our picks so drop us a line any time, and see you back here next week. Enjoy! x
IN THE KITCHEN
Meg has kindly let us in on one of her staple culinary secrets. These Zucchini and Carrot Fritters are a mainstay in her desk lunches and dinners alike.
Take stock of the vegetables lying limp in your fridge and substitute where needed; play with the flavours and make it your own. Then settle in for one of her viewing picks below.
Serves 2-4 people, pending your appetite.
- 2 x large zucchini. (or 4 small)
- 2 x carrots
- 1 cup brown rice flour or almond meal (Chef's note: brown rice flour is much easier to work with)
- 4 eggs
- Feta (as little or as much as you like), optional
1. Grate the zucchini and carrots into a bowl. Add the flour and two eggs (note: if the mixture doesn't get sticky, add another egg). Using your hands, mix all the ingredients to a thick batter.
2. Heat up a fair amount of oil in the pan and make patty shapes with the batter. (If your mixture is wet, make sure you squeeze the liquid out as you add them to the pan). Once in the pan, squash with your spatula to make them as flat as possible. Flip once the edges look brown and remove once cooked through.
3. To cook the poached eggs, heat up water in a fry pan - fill it to the brim and add a capful of vinegar (this helps with the poaching). Crack the eggs into the water. Once the eggs feel firm, but not hard, they are ready. Remove with caution and let the water drain from them.
4. Assemble the fritters with your poached egg on top, salad on the side, et voila!
FOR THE SIDE SALAD
•1 or 2 cucumbers
•A few cherry tomatoes
•A small slice of feta or other preferred cheese
•Optional additions: red onion, chickpeas, etc.
IF YOU NEED A MOOD LIFT
We all need a good laugh, that's for sure. So there are no pandemic movies or stressful sagas on Meg's watch list. Instead, check out a snippet of her favourite comedies below:
- Schitts Creek (Netflix)
- Parks and Recreation (Netflix)
- The Office (US) (Stan)
- Absolutely Fabulous (Stan)
- The First Wives Club (Netflix)
- The Beverly Hills Cop films (Stan)